Skip to main content

Close Apart (Chapter-24)

Close Apart

Chapter-24

“A step ahead”

Receiving a bunch of roses in office was not the usual way to start a normal day for Komal! And when the note read

“Got you another surprise, meet me after work- Aditya”

Komal knew that there’s something really unusual about that day!

All day long, she kept on thinking, what may be the surprise!


“Is it the movie that I mentioned that day and he reacted like…

Ice Age! Aren’t you too grown up for those movies!!

Or is it that keychain that I loved in the Archie’s gallery and he winked away!!


Oh god! I am too much stressed out! I hate surprises!”


“Madam!”


Komal was so much sunk in her confusions that she almost forgot that she was still in the office!


“Yes?”


“Sir asked if you’ve completed proof-reading for your article or not…”


“Ah… tell him that I’ll hand it to him within 10 minutes.


And again she sank in her trivia hunt!!


Basically Komal is a “constant demanding” type girl. Need clarification? Well let’s put it in the words of Aditya…


“Going out with Komal would make you feel like you are under constant attention. You feel like you’re with an 8 year old girl who gets exited and interested in almost everything that goes by! So she ends up in having a lot of things on her wish list!”


And that’s what makes her so vulnerable to surprises!

*************************************************************

“Or is it some book that I mentioned! But then I’ve mentioned so many books. This is too tough. But its only 12:30 and I’ve to wait till 5 to meet him!”


Komal’s cell phone buzzed showing an unknown no.


“Hello”


“Well I can tell you what he’s trying to slip you…”


“Is that right!! And what about the word that I said about not calling from others cell?”


“Ha ha O.K. I’m sorry! Won’t happen again!”


“Now tell me what is it?”


“What?”


“The surprise…”


“A dozen roses when you least expect it! Wasn’t that all?”


“Not that!! You wrote, “Got you another surprise, meet me after work” that one!”


“Did I write that? Damn! I thought I wrote “Got you a surprise, meet me after work” that’s it! I must’ve misspell it”


“That much!”


“I am sorry but there’s no “another surprise” waiting for you! O.K. gotta go! See you at 5:15, my office, don’t forget to pick me up!”


“O.K. Bye”


Komal was suddenly so down…


“Perhaps he’s not that much interested in this relationship the way I am.”


Komal sighed.


And so after a long and tiresome day at work Komal drove her way Aditya’s office.


Her cell phone vibrated over her car’s dashboard.


“Hello”


“It’s me! I’ve left a little early today, so no need to pick me up! You just keep on driving towards new market and I’ll catch you up there.”


“Aditya I need to return home soon.”


“Just do me a favour, Pick me up & drop me at my room. I’m too tired to take a tram.”


When Komal reached the spot she saw Aditya standing with a book in his hand.


“Since when you’ve started reading books!”


“Books! Me? Leave me with my Xbox…” Aditya turned towards Komal and handed over the book to her


“This is for you!”


“What! You bought me an old book!”


I don’t know whether she was shocked by seeing the rug book or thrilled from the expression on her face!


“You bought me Memoirs of James Gordon Bennett and His Times by Isaac Clark!”


“This is an early edition; the bookseller told me that various parts of this book were clipped off in the later editions due to censorship issues because they thought his idea of journalism was way too radical.”


Komal was looking starry eyed towards Aditya as he was telling her the stuff she already knew.


“Aditya! I know how much trouble you’ve taken to find this book! I don’t have words to thank you!”


“God! No ! Why thanking me? I thought you needed this.”


“So this was the 2nd surprise?”


“This? No! This is only a book on a subject that I don’t comprehend!”


Aditya took the wheels and drove slowly to a turn, and then suddenly parked the car in a parking.


“Where are we going?”


“We are going in! There’s a nice movie going on in Globe, thought you’d like it.”


Komal now got the plot, as she stood in front of a poster of her much awaited movie Ice Age.


For the next two hours Komal had her best time spending time with her loved one watching her favorite movie!

*************************************************************

Later that day as they were grabbing a bite at some place, Komal said.


“The surprise was great!”


“You thought the movie was the surprise?”


“It wasn’t?”


“Of course not! By the way take this…”


Aditya casually took out a flashy new key hanging from an angel key chain.


“Oh my God! The key chain, you got it!!”


“Is this the key chain that you showed me that day? What a coincidence!” Aditya was smiling beneath his eyes.


“I am speechless! But what the key’s for?”


“Remember you once said that my apartment was a bit offbeat! It sounded more like off the hook, so here’s my apartment key. Go in whenever you like and change anything you want! I’ve started living all over again from the day you came in my life and you have the right to mould this life of mine into anything that suits you! I’m all yours…”

So at the end of the day Komal still kept raking her thoughts so as to find the real surprise that Aditya wanted to give her.



Ambiance Track

Everlife- I can get used to this


Comments

Arc said…
I am really very sorry For the delay!! I am busy with my exams right now that caused it!!
Unknown said…
After so many twists and turns, the story seems to enter into a BASIC HTML mode, slow and peaceful.
Anonymous said…
I was looking for the song by Everlife!
But I must say ur story is too good! Get goin!!

Popular posts from this blog

Train Encounter(Chap-10)

Train Encounter Chapter-10 Epilogue "Truth is stranger than fiction" I've heard this many a times from many of my friends, but never got a chance to verify it. This July (I mean july2006) when I was on my way back to my college in Nagpur, I was struck for 6 hours at Tatanagar station, I didn't have the slightest idea that I'll get to face one of my life's most interesting moments. Yes, dear reader!! What you just got through last 9 chapters actually happened to be my fellow co-passenger!! I came to know about her problems when I had started chatting with her when I knew that she too was going in the same train. She didn't want to tell this "weird" incident to me at first, thinking that I won't believe her, but then told at last. I was awestruck when she told me that the person was going to meet her that very day!! Well anyone can guess what amazement did I pass when the person turned out to be her Boyfriend!! I just asked them if I could wr

Close Apart (Chap-3)

Close Apart Chapter-3 “Lamb Delight” “Lamb Delight!! Wow, that was some order!” recalled Aditya. Actually, it was about a few months earlier that Manish, a colleague of Aditya tried to hook him up with a girl named Suneeta, who, Manish claimed was one of his girlfriend’s friend. So! On the preplanned Saturday night, Aditya came to this very place and met her. “She was gorgeous!” was Aditya’s first reaction and after a very short stretch of time Aditya started liking everything about her. And when Aditya knew that she was a little bit interested about computer softwares, then it made feel like: “look! Didn’t I tell you earlier? Gorgeous girls like softwares!!” Aditya had this (Well, used to have) symptom of being completely speechless near girls. So he tried to make his order speak of his feelings and he ordered a couple of “Lamb Delights!” Just after the waiter left, Suneeta turned to him and said “Do you know what they have in these?” Aditya was thinking to ask about what she was ref