Skip to main content

Close Apart (Chapter-33)

Close Apart
Chapter-33
“The Day Before”


Amrita was getting really excited as the day of the wedding was coming closer. She was completely absorbed in planning exactly how the wedding will take place, what dresses will they wear, what music to play until she was told that none of those will be totally possible since the registrar office is generally very crowded and any pompous and time consuming celebration would be literally unmanageable!

Monday came, and most of the planning was over, Aditya was relaxing in his armchair in the morning when Amrita came with a cup of coffee.

“Aditya! I need you to do me a favor.”

“What?” Aditya asked inquisitively.

“You’ll have to stop seeing me…”

“Wh… what!! What are you talking about! We’re getting married tomorrow!!”

“Something has come up to my knowledge!”

Aditya froze! He couldn’t believe what he was listening! He was just jotting down names in his mind of persons who might be responsible for this.

“I’ve heard from someone whom I trust very much that…”

“Look Amrita! Before you say something, I want you to know, that it’s not like you’ve heard it… let me explain.” Aditya interrupted.

“No Adi! It’s exactly what I’ve heard! Couple should stay separate a night before their wedding!”

“What!” Aditya couldn’t believe that he was going to break open the secret himself!

“They say that it’s inauspicious for the couple to stay together a day before marriage.”

“Now how do we arrange that?”

“You don’t have to! I’ve done it myself! I’ll take your leave after a couple of hours and we’ll meet again tomorrow, one final time!”

“Listen Amrita, these are superstitions! You don’t need to fall into these.”

“No Adi! I want this wedding to be perfect! The one we’ll remember our entire life! And I’ll do anything to make it happen.”

“Alright, now tell me, which of your friends’ place will you be residing?”

“That information is classified! And you’ll not try to find that out! Now finish your coffee and drop me to the metro station.”

*************************************************************************************

“Get me an Rs12 ticket!” Amrita was at the metro station.

“So you’re going far!”

“You’ll never know, for I can just get down at the next station!”

“Why are you playing this trick with me!!”

“You’ll know Aditya! Meet me directly at the registrar’s office tomorrow at 11:30. And yes!” Amrita said as she checked in her ticket “Don’t forget to bring your witnesses!”

Ambiance Track

Semisonic
Closing Time



Comments

Unknown said…
I have been out of practice. After such a long time, blurting out wisecracks is not coming easily. I feel the author is going to - Hindi movie style - kill one of the protagonists. Of course he may choose to kill two, or even three. The more, the merrier.

Popular posts from this blog

Train Encounter(Chap-10)

Train Encounter Chapter-10 Epilogue "Truth is stranger than fiction" I've heard this many a times from many of my friends, but never got a chance to verify it. This July (I mean july2006) when I was on my way back to my college in Nagpur, I was struck for 6 hours at Tatanagar station, I didn't have the slightest idea that I'll get to face one of my life's most interesting moments. Yes, dear reader!! What you just got through last 9 chapters actually happened to be my fellow co-passenger!! I came to know about her problems when I had started chatting with her when I knew that she too was going in the same train. She didn't want to tell this "weird" incident to me at first, thinking that I won't believe her, but then told at last. I was awestruck when she told me that the person was going to meet her that very day!! Well anyone can guess what amazement did I pass when the person turned out to be her Boyfriend!! I just asked them if I could wr

Close Apart (Chap-3)

Close Apart Chapter-3 “Lamb Delight” “Lamb Delight!! Wow, that was some order!” recalled Aditya. Actually, it was about a few months earlier that Manish, a colleague of Aditya tried to hook him up with a girl named Suneeta, who, Manish claimed was one of his girlfriend’s friend. So! On the preplanned Saturday night, Aditya came to this very place and met her. “She was gorgeous!” was Aditya’s first reaction and after a very short stretch of time Aditya started liking everything about her. And when Aditya knew that she was a little bit interested about computer softwares, then it made feel like: “look! Didn’t I tell you earlier? Gorgeous girls like softwares!!” Aditya had this (Well, used to have) symptom of being completely speechless near girls. So he tried to make his order speak of his feelings and he ordered a couple of “Lamb Delights!” Just after the waiter left, Suneeta turned to him and said “Do you know what they have in these?” Aditya was thinking to ask about what she was ref