Skip to main content

The Way Beyond (Prologue)

I woke up! 
It was dark, tried opening  my eyes, didn't do much help. As if I was inside a void with only darkness around me
I opened my eyes and the darkness flooded in!

I tried remembering where I was, tried remembering something that  could explain why I am here, all in vain. My head hurt and I couldn't recall  anything. It felt like the time has collapsed on itself and now there is nothing else, well except for this dark void. 

They say your lizard brain wakes up in these situations. From the depths of your consciousness, and attempts to guide your instincts to safety. I see something now! Maybe my eyes have finally adjusted themselves to this darkness. Something familiar comes into my vision, laying in front of me. A leather spined book on top of a towel, an old leather bound book.

I looked around, I was sitting in the shade of a tree. Can you still call it a shade when there is nothing but darkness around? Like if a tree falls in the woods far away from you, did it make any sound? 

I stood up!
Soft land below my feet, my head is still giving me a hard time. I see a faint veil of smoke everywhere around me, or maybe its just my mind playing tricks on me. It was still everywhere, not a slight gust of wind, not a speck of sound anywhere, except for the ringing in my ears.

I would really need some heads up here! Where to go? How to did I end up in this place to begin with? I took the book and tried to make the cover. Um! Too dark! The book smelled like it was an old, dusty one, might be a hundred years old. The pages were surprisingly firm in that comparison though. 

I can't wait here like this forever!
I might as well go around and see if there's a way out, but to where? Is this how the first of the beings felt when their consciousness evolved ! I wonder! I took up the towel and the book and started walking straight ahead of me.

My head is starting to clear a bit now and so are my senses. I am hearing a humming noise that is pulsing through the ground and coming to me.

"Sets of three."

 Something inside of me took a turn. A spark above me! I started waking faster, if there's a storm coming, I don't want to be out here! My vision ended on a log cabin through the trees in front of me.

"Concentration is the key"

The air is getting heavy, I've strained myself in running out the storm. Not much left in me, I walk as fast as I can, the humming noise has intensified itself. Another flash, no thunder, almost there!

“A towel, is about the most massively useful thing a hitchhiker can have."


 
I jolted open the door of the cabin, the warm air welcomed me, I left a sigh of relief and the memories rushed in!


Ambiance Track

Nine inch Nails - Into the void

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Train Encounter(Chap-10)

Train Encounter Chapter-10 Epilogue "Truth is stranger than fiction" I've heard this many a times from many of my friends, but never got a chance to verify it. This July (I mean july2006) when I was on my way back to my college in Nagpur, I was struck for 6 hours at Tatanagar station, I didn't have the slightest idea that I'll get to face one of my life's most interesting moments. Yes, dear reader!! What you just got through last 9 chapters actually happened to be my fellow co-passenger!! I came to know about her problems when I had started chatting with her when I knew that she too was going in the same train. She didn't want to tell this "weird" incident to me at first, thinking that I won't believe her, but then told at last. I was awestruck when she told me that the person was going to meet her that very day!! Well anyone can guess what amazement did I pass when the person turned out to be her Boyfriend!! I just asked them if I could wr

Close Apart (Chap-3)

Close Apart Chapter-3 “Lamb Delight” “Lamb Delight!! Wow, that was some order!” recalled Aditya. Actually, it was about a few months earlier that Manish, a colleague of Aditya tried to hook him up with a girl named Suneeta, who, Manish claimed was one of his girlfriend’s friend. So! On the preplanned Saturday night, Aditya came to this very place and met her. “She was gorgeous!” was Aditya’s first reaction and after a very short stretch of time Aditya started liking everything about her. And when Aditya knew that she was a little bit interested about computer softwares, then it made feel like: “look! Didn’t I tell you earlier? Gorgeous girls like softwares!!” Aditya had this (Well, used to have) symptom of being completely speechless near girls. So he tried to make his order speak of his feelings and he ordered a couple of “Lamb Delights!” Just after the waiter left, Suneeta turned to him and said “Do you know what they have in these?” Aditya was thinking to ask about what she was ref